OK, so you have probably seen Toner as Step 2 of most skincare regimes. What you may not know is why and what is can do for our skin. I went through a phase where I stopped using Toner as it seemed to be and unnecessary step, I am sure you many of you have done similar. Toner is an important Step 2 in a beauty regime not to be missed as it is amazing the different things this under appreciated skincare does!
- It tightens your pores - Toner has the ability to reduce the size of pores. This benefits you both cosmetically but also from and acne/skin imperfection perspective.
- It balances your pH - Often when we use soap and facial cleansers they disrupt our skins pH balance which can cause the skin to overproduce oil. Toner balances your pH levels and solves this problem.
- It removes oil and helps oily skin - Another part of Toner’s skin balancing effect is its power to remove excess oil. Dry skin can still produce too much oil at times and Toner can balance this just use it once a day instead of twice.
- It exfoliates - Toner is a gentle exfoliator perfect for ridding our faces of dry dead skin. It is actually better than exfoliating scrubs which can be too harsh for the sensitive skin on our faces.
- It prevents ingrown hairs - By improving your skin's elasticity, firmness and collagen production you help your skin prevent ingrown hairs and/or razor bumps. Toner also aids the recovery of the skin from hair removal.
- It removes makeup and/or dirt - Did you know your regular cleanser misses things? Sometimes traces of dirt, makeup and whatever else are left behind. Toner takes care of the things your cleanser misses making sure your skin looks and feels perfectly clean.
- It makes your moisturisers and serums more effective - One of the main reasons Toner is usually Step 2 in a skincare regime is it prepares the skin for Step 3 of applying a moisturiser or serum. The pH balancing, oil removing and cleaning of your skin leaves it ready to receive and benefit from your moisturiser or serum in a way it way it wouldn't be without using Toner.
As you can see there are many important reasons why Toner is Step 2 in most beauty regimes. It is a powerful tool often overlooked. I use our M&R White Tea Toner every day to clean, tone and balance my skin in preparation for applying a cream, lotion or serum.