Our skin is our first form of protection for our body against the outside world, it’s pretty important. All this exposure means it’s crucial that we clean and care for our skin to protect it and stop any harmful external pollutants entering our bloodstream. While you may already have developed a thorough skincare routine, it is worth taking the time to consider exactly what you are putting on your skin when you care for it.
Non-organic skincare products may do the job they set out to do, but by using them, you are also putting your health at risk. Anything that you put on your skin can be absorbed into your bloodstream. So all the parabens, phthalates and other nasty stuff in your non-organic moisturisers, cleansers and other cosmetic products could be entering your blood stream. This makes it particularly concerning as most people are unaware of the properties of many chemicals in their skincare products. 1,4-dioxane, commonly found in shampoos and bubble baths, is categorised as a probable carcinogen, yet people continue to expose themselves to it. The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones from the harmful effects of these chemicals is to replace your usual routine with organic skincare products.
Organic skincare products, such as those from M&R Essentials not only are free of harmful chemicals but benefit your skin and body on top of their intended use. Organic skincare products offered by M&R Essentials are fully edible. While they’re not intended for consumption, it means that they process through your body easily and do not cause any tissue build up. Consisting of organic ingredients makes these products suitable for sensitive skin. More than that, on top of being antibacterial and anti-aging, the things you usually look for, organic products are also packed full of antioxidants that feed and nourish your skin in a way that non-organic products simply can’t cater for.
Ideally, your skincare routine should include cleansing, toning and moisturising both in the morning and at night. Cleansing is an important ritual to first rid your skin of dead skin cells, oil, and other pollutants that may clog your pores. M&R Essentials Energising Facial Cleanser makes an excellent start to both your morning and evening routine, some of its active ingredients are listed below.
M&R Essentials Energising Facial Cleanser
- Lotus seed extract, a rich source of magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and protein. It is a powerful antioxidant and has a strong anti-aging enzyme.
- White willow bark extract is another rich antioxidant, a good exfoliant which makes it an excellent cleanser for oily skin. It also works to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Raspberry water is a powerful antioxidant that reduces age spots and wrinkles.
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein increases firmness of skin and helps our skin to naturally retain moisture
- Pro-vitamin B5 is recognised as an effective skin moisturiser. It keeps skin soft and supple. It also stimulates skins healing ability which makes a good anti-inflammatory.
Next in your routine, both morning and night, you should apply a toner to hydrate your skin, lift and tighten your face and to battle clogged pores. M&R Essentials White Tea Toner is a refreshing and naturally fragrant toner that makes a worthy substitution for its non-organic counter parts.
M&R Essentials White Tea Toner
- White tea extract targets wrinkles, restores firmness of skin and encourages elasticity.
- Rose geranium soothes skin and provides a refreshing natural fragrance.
- Rose otto softens and nourishes dry skin.
- Blackberry fruit extract reduces wrinkles by encouraging elasticity and moisturising skin.
- Purified NZ water cleanses skin and removes impurities.
Finally, in a basic routine, you should apply a moisturiser to deeply penetrate and hydrate your skin. Given that your activities and exposure of your skin varies greatly between day and night, it is important that you use a product that is best suited to what you will need. For the morning, I would recommend using M&R Essentials Tuberosa & Manuka Honey Day Cream. This product is specifically designed to moisturise, soothe your skin and to help calm signs of skin stress.
M&R Essentials Tuberosa & Manuka Honey Day Cream
- Tuberosa has strong antibacterial qualities and serves as an excellent anti-inflammatory.
- Manuka honey encourages skin elasticity and is well known for its anti-aging properties.
- Rosehip oil is a rich source of vitamin E and essential fatty acids to moisturise skin.
- Apricot kernel oil is easily absorbed into the skin to deliver nutrients.
- Liquorice extract lightens skin for a glowing appearance.
For your evening routine, I would recommend using M&R Essentials Sweet Dreams Night Cream. This night cream works as you sleep to deeply hydrate and rejuvenate your skin so you can wake up glowing and ready to start the day.
M&R Essentials Sweet Dreams Night Cream
- Jojoba oil is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It works hard to fight dryness and improve skin texture.
- Coconut oil is an increasingly popular an all-natural skin moisturiser.
- Lavender oil soothes skin and inhibits bacteria which reduces acne and skin infection.
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that shields skin from cell damage.
- Sweet orange essential oil promotes the delivery of oxygen-rich blood which stimulates collagen synthesis.
If you find this day moisturiser a bit heavy or find yourself needing to top up during the day, then I would recommend using M&R Essentials Youthful Face Lotion. It is a light and quickly absorbed moisturiser that refreshes the skin and helps to seal in moisture.
M&R Essentials Youthful Face Lotion
- Kakadu plum extract reinforces the skin’s natural moisture barrier and helps protect against UV damage.
- Grape-seed oil tightens, moisturises and reduces acne and rough spots.
- Camellia oil is a Japanese oil renowned for rejuvenating skin and reducing the appearance of scars and stretch marks.
- Grapefruit oil uplifts and cleanses skin. It is also known for its antiseptic qualities.
- Neem oil soothes inflamed skin.
This will serve as a basic daily skincare routine. However, there are certain things we should take into consideration to truly nourish our skin. The first of these is the skin around our eyes. The skin around our eyes is thin and sensitive. It dries fast and will benefit from a little more attention than we give the rest of our face. One trusty way to do this is by incorporating M&R Essentials Bright Eyes Eye Cream into your daily routine. On top of moisturising, using this cream will also reduce puffiness around the eyes and reduce black circles.
M&R Essentials Bright Eyes Eye Cream
- Rosewood oil rejuvenates delicate skin to fight premature ageing and smooth wrinkles.
- Bilberry extract is antioxidant-rich. It conditions the skin by encouraging the flow of oxygen-carrying blood.
- Jasmine is full of nurturing essential oils to heal dry and brittle skin.
- Bee venom increases blood flow to the skin, promoting the synthesis of collagen and elastin. It is very effective for tightening this delicate skin.
Another thing to consider is the use of serums. Serums work to penetrate the skin more deeply to deliver more effective hydration. The molecules in serums are smaller than those in your typical moisturiser so they are able to more effectively target fine lines and wrinkles. Used after cleansing and before moisturising, serums can have a significant impact on skin appearance and feeling. M&R Essentials Flawless Face Serum is an easy and refreshing addition to your skincare routine.
M&R Essentials Flawless Face Serum
- Juniper berry deeply hydrates, increases fluid retention and skin firmness.
- Echinacea flower extract diminishes wrinkles and unwanted lines. It is also known for its antibiotic and antiseptic properties which work to reduce acne.
- Meadowfoam oil allows for deep nutrient penetration and forms barrier to lock in moisture.
- Frankincense protects skin cells and reduces the appearance of blemishes and pores.
- Algae extract conditions, hydrates, softens and detoxifies skin. It is a rich source of essential vitamins, minerals and is high in antioxidants.
As with moisturising, special consideration needs to be taken for the delicate skin around our eyes. On this area, you should use M&R Essentials Rejuvenating Cucumber Eye Serum. Applying in your skincare routine both morning and night will ensure this delicate skin gets the hydration and nourishment it needs.
M&R Essentials Rejuvenating Cucumber Eye Serum
- Cucumber extract cools and soothes the sensitive skin and reduces redness and puffiness.
- Calendula oil reduces blemishes and nourishes your skin to really make it glow.
- German chamomile oil soothes dry and irritated skin.
- Xanthum gum creates a smooth base for all these nutrients to glide onto your skin.
The ingredients and benefits of even just the products I have mentioned are far too many to include in this one article. I hope, however, that I have illustrated the importance of knowing what is going on your skin. Not just to reduce chemical harm, but also to give it the nourishment it could thrive on. It is, after all, the largest organ so we should surely be giving it the nutrients it requires. Stay hydrated and stay happy!